Save the Date for
April 20th at the CCC
Our third fashion-made-from-trash show, so we guess it's an annual event now, huh? More details coming, but we want to give people time to get their haute re-couture ready.
See photos on our Facebook page
- Trashion fashions must be made from at least 75% already used materials that would otherwise be thrown away or recycled
- Materials include cardboard, steel/tin, recycled fabric or clothing, aluminum, plastics, paper cartons, chipboard, newspaper, mixed papers (magazines, junk mail, and catalogs), paper bags, and glass
- Vintage or used clothing will _not_ be accepted, unless it has been significantly repurposed and redesigned into something substantially ‘new’
- Footwear, jewelry, purses, and other accessories may be used to enhance the overall costume
CREDITS & DESCRIPTIONS to be read while models are on stage. For each outfit, Design Teams will submit
- Trashion Design Teams may have 1 to 4 people
- Models will be one or more of a Design Team’s members
Email --attn:Trashion--if you would like to strut this year's catwalk!
- the names of the designer(s) and model at the top of the page
- followed by the materials used in the outfit (“Sandy’s vest is made from magazine paper with bottle caps buttons”-- or get specific “from National Geographic magazines “ or “various organic seed catalogs” )
- and may also include any noteworthy techniques used (“braided newspaper strips” or “crocheted plastic grocery bags”)
- as well as environmental facts, if desired (i.e., Angie’s dress is made of 138 sheets of paper. In the U.S., we throw away 4.5 million tons of office paper each year)
- Credits & Descriptions should not be longer than the time it will take to walk out, model the outfit, and walk back
As of December 31, 2018 Green Okanogan diverted 799,243 pounds (or 399.6215 tons) of material from local landfills and burn piles, taking it all to be made into useful products, since opening for regular hours in July 2015. That's 2 blue whales plus 4 elephants worth!
We haven't weighed what's in our yard yet this year, but we feel safe rounding up to the number on the pic ... AND the # is really larger, because our GO Again Thrift Store has helped a whopping amount of never-weighed material find new use, much of which might well have ended up trashed rather that re-purposed.
In 2018 we did more in each category than in 2017-- more than doubling our metals (mostly aluminum and metal cans) and almost doubling the #1 and #2 plastics we take.
DAY 2 DAY AT GO
We keep making improvements at 3 Rodeo Rd and recycling keeps us busy, but the thrift shop side of things (where you can get some great deals) really helps pays our mortgage as the price earned by most recyclables stays low. We bundle and time our loads so we at least break even (cost of gas vs the fluctuating income.) We're not complaining--we want to keep it out of a landfill! But if you ever wonder why we don't pay for aluminum cans or why we ask for donations, that's why--it can be expensive to do the right thing.
The materials we accept hasn't changed since last spring. Many ask, but we still can NOT recycle glass
. Sorry, but you might take it to Methow Recycles
in Twisp, or the Osoyoos Landfill
north of the border in BC.
, we look forward to seeing you. Please bring only recyclables and thrift donations we can accept
which are clean (no wet, moldy, or mousie poopie thingies, please'n'thankyou :-)
Happy 2019 from Green Okanogan
Remember, it's cool to have a new year--but everything else should be re-used or recycled.
this page updated February 13, 2019
As of December 2018, Green Okanogan diverted 799,243 pounds (or 399.6215 tons) of material from local landfills and burn piles, taking it all to be made into useful products, since opening for regular hours in July 2015. (see more)
GO Recycle & GO Again Thrift Store
are located at 3 Rodeo Road
just south of Tonasket
off Hwy 97, at Clarkson Mill Rd
Office Phone: (509) 486-0674
Email Us at
Write to us at:
P.O. Box 604
Tonasket, WA 98855
10 am - 4 pm
Thank you for your continued support.
We look forward to seeing you soon!
Click to Sign Up for Updates by Email and receive info about Green Okanogan right to your inbox.
Green Okanogan is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
© Green Okanogan 2009-2019, all rights reserved